Friday 3 October 2014

Pineapple the Miss Australia way

Miss Australia Cookbook, Cookery Editor Elizabeth Sewell, Sydney 1971

Pineapple and Prawn Salad contributed by Helen Newton (Miss Australia 1968) who grew up on a pineapple farm, at Woombye, Queensland.
Serves: 6
1 1/2 kg prawns, cooked; ½ cup white vinegar; salt and pepper; 2 X 350g tins pineapple pieces, drained and chilled; 1 cup Mayonnaise; 1 lettuce; sprigs of parsley and tomato wedges for garnish
Shell the prawns, remove black vein and cut in halves. Place in a bowl and mix with the vinegar and salt and pepper, chill. Add the pineapple and Mayonnaise to the prawns and mix together thoroughly. Arrange on crisp lettuce leaves and garnish with sprigs of parsley and tomato wedges.
Fresh cooked tiger prawns
Home made mayonnaise, home cooked Australian tiger prawns, fresh iceberg, yummy canned pineapple.  For a dinner party you could serve it in glasses like a prawn cocktail.  Personally I would use a marie rose sauce, the olive oil in the mayonnaise was a bit overpowering for the prawns, Ann.
Helen Newton said “I enjoy cooking and entertaining at home. The thought of organising and cooking for a party does not worry me, I now appreciate my training in home science subjects at high school and later at teachers Training College. I believe one of the most important points to remember when planning meals is the nutritional value of food. During the hot summer months we can enjoy crisp, cool salads and beautiful fresh fruit. Fortunately these are rich in vitamins and minerals as well as being delicious and satisfying.”

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me about how little I appreciate my domestic science training in high school, where we were told things like how drinking the water vegetables had been boiled in was good for us. I agree with you about the Marie Rose sauce - it is such a classic with seafood.

    ReplyDelete