Sunday, 28 May 2017
Recipes for Life from the Fit for Life Kitchen, Marilyn Diamond with Lisa Neuwirth USA 1998
Cleansing Fruit Meal
“This tangy fruit salad is ideal on the morning after a heavy supper. The citrus juice dressing gives you that squeaky clean feeling. The fresh mint refreshes.”
1 cup diced fresh pineapple; 1 orange, peeled and diced; 1 ruby red grapefruit, peeled and diced; 2 fresh mint leaves, julienned (optional)
Dressing: Juice of ½ lemon; juice of ½ grapefruit; juice of 1 orange
1. Combine diced fruit in large bowl with mint leaves.
2. Pour citrus juices over salad and toss well.
Florida Fruit Breakfast
1 pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into 1cm cubes; 2 bananas, sliced into 1/2cm rounds; 1 mango. Peeled, pitted, and diced into 1cm cubes; 1 tblsp poppy seeds; ¼ cup plain yoghurt; 2 tspn honey; fresh mint leaves for garnish; 1 basket fresh strawberries, stemmed; 1 orange
1. In a large serving bowl toss pineapple, bananas, and mango. Top with strawberries.
2. Grate enough zest of the orange to make 1 tspn; juice the orange by hand. Combine orange zest and juice, oppy seeds, yoghurt, and honey in a separate bowl. Drizzle over fruit and garnish with mint leaves.
“This pure fruit tonic is a tropical vacation in a glass, sure to elevate you to a sunny mood.”
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice, fresh or bottled; 1 mango, pitted, peeled, and sliced; juice of ½ lime; 1 tspn honey; 1 banana; ½ cup ice cubes
Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth
½ fresh pineapple, peeled but not cored; 2 oranges; 1 tspn honey; ½ basket alfalfa sprouts
1. Pass pineapple through vegetable juicer
2. Juice range by hand or with a citrus juicer, or peel, leaving pith, which contains vitamin C and bioflavinoids, and pass through vegetable juicer
3. Combine juices, honey, and sprouts in blender until smooth and creamy
“This meal is refreshing, filling, and ideal when avocados are in season. The tomato adds a good contrasting flavour to the pineapple, or the persimmon can add to the sweetness. Use fuyu persimmons, which are hard and tomato-shaped, rather than tear-drop shaped and soft. The julienned lettuce adds texture, fiber, and colour. Don’t be afraid to mix lettuce in fruit salads, even at breakfast. The effect is very pleasing.”
2 cups cubed pineapple; 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and cubed; 1 diced tomato or sliced persimmon; 1 cup julienned lettuce; juice of 1 orange
1. Combine salad ingredients and toss in orange juice.
Sunny Seed and Fruit Meal
“The amounts are for a family-sized salad. For one serving make one-quarter the amount. This makes a delicious soothing supper or a cleansing morning meal. Great with tea made from chamomile and ginger.”
1 pineapple, halved, cored, and sliced; 2 cups hulled strawberries, sliced; 2 oranges or tangelos, peeled, halved, and sliced; 8 black mission figs, chopped, or 1 cup raisins; 4 kiwis, peeled and sliced; 2 cups enzymized hulled sunflower seeds; 1 ½ cups vanilla or plain soy milk; juice of 2 oranges; dashes of cinnamon and cardamom; 4 bananas, sliced
1. Prepare fruit and combine in large bowl. Add sunflower seeds and mix well
2. Spoon into large bowls. Combine soy milk, orange juice, and spices. Pour over individual servings.
Friday, 19 May 2017
Ye College Cookbook, NSW Baptists Theological College Ladies Auxiliary 1970s Sydney, cover design Ralph Edgecombe, Illustrations Ken Ross
Spanish Rice Salad
3 cups cooked rice; ½ cup each red and green capsicum chopped; ¼ cup grated carrot; ½ cup chopped pineapple; ½ cup chopped celery; ¼ cup shallots; ¼ cup walnut pieces; 2 firm tomatoes; ½ cup mayonnaise
Combine the rice, celery, capsicums, carrot, shallots and pineapple, mix well. Pour over the mayonnaise and toss well. Return to refrigerator to chill well. Serve in salad bowl with the walnut pieces, add and decorate with slices of tomatoes.
Friday, 12 May 2017
Susan Can Cook: Food Fit for Sharing
Thanks for the guavas David.
Pineapple and Pineapple Guava Jam
4 cups pineapple guava pulp; 2 cups pineapple (I put mine through the blender); 1/2 cup lemon juice; 3 cups sugar
Prepare 5 half pint jars and lids and the boiling water bath. Place some spoons and saucers in the freezer.
Place all the ingredients into a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring frequently, until thick. The pineapple guava may float. To prevent this, mash them with a potato masher while cooking. Test on a frozen spoon or saucer. Once the jam cools, if it wrinkles when you push it with your finger, it is done - about 220 degrees. Remove from heat and skim any foam. Stir for one minute to distribute the fruit. Carefully ladle into hot jars, wipe the rims and close the lids. Process in the boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Carefully remove to a towel lined tray and allow to cool overnight. Label in the morning.
Makes 5 half pints.
Cooking with Fruit, compiled by Mary-Lou Arnold, 1985 Sydney
One of my favourite spots in our garden - under the persimmon trees.
Pineapple and Persimmon Jam
4 ripe persimmons; 2 cups sugar; 1 tblsp lemon juice; ½ cup grated pineapple; shredded peel 1 lemon
Cut a cross in pointed ends of persimmons. Peel back skin. Discard skin and stem end. Combine pulp with sugar and cook over low heat 15 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened and clear.
Do not boil.
Saturday, 6 May 2017
Country Kitchen Tropical Tastes Cookbook, Golden Circle, Custom Book Company, Sydney
Eggplant and Pineapple Supreme
4 large eggplants, sliced lengthways; salt; ¼ cup olive oil; 1 cup pasta sauce of choice; 1 clove garlic, crushed; 450g can Golden Circle Pineapple thins, drained and halved; basil laves; 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese; ½ cup parmesan cheese; ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
1. Place eggplant slices on a tray. Sprinkle with salt. Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Rinse well. Pat dry.
2. Arrange eggplant slices on a griller tray. Brush with olive oil. Grill until golden on both sides. Remove to a baking tray.
3. Spread each slice of eggplant with combined pasta sauce and garlic. Top with Golden Circle Pineapple halves and basil leaves.
4. Sprinkle with combined cheeses and breadcrumbs. Bake at 180°C for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with crusty bread, hummus and salad.