Tuesday 31 October 2017

Mrs Beeton and pine-apple: Episode 3

Mrs Beeton’s Cookery and Household Management: The World’s Greatest Cookery Book, 1961 England







Pineapple Cream (1) Crème à l’Ananas
Two 1 pt. pineapple jelly tablets (I used 1 packet pineapple jelly); ¼ pt water and ¼ pt pineapple juice (I used 200ml pineapple juice and 250ml boiling water); 1 pt thick custard (I used 570ml); 4 oz chopped pineapple (I used 1 cup canned); ½ pt double cream (I used 250ml)
Melt the jellies in the water and juice. Make the custard and stir into the jelly when both are slightly cooled. Stir in the chopped pineapple. Whip the cream and fold in. Setting time 1 – 2 hours.
8 helpings.

Pineapple Cream (2)
Two 1 pt. pineapple jelly tablets (I used 1 packet pineapple jelly); ¼ pt water and ¼ pt pineapple juice (I used 250ml boiling water and 200ml pineapple juice); 1 family size 12oz block ice cream (I used 1 ½ cups ice cream); 1 cup milk; lemon juice to taste
Melt the jelly in the water and juice. Stir in the ice cream quickly and if the mixture sets at this stage, place the bowl over a pan of hot water and stir until liquid again. Add lemon juice as required as this mixture will be very sweet. Stir in the milk, and pour into a prepared mould. Turn out when set.
8 helpings


More stylish interiors from "The World's Greatest Cookery Book" 1961


No comments:

Post a Comment